Tuesday

Secret Lives of Women: Transsexuals

SECRET LIVES OF WOMEN: TRANSSEXUAL

Chris Blehar wants a very special birthday present, and it's not something you can pick up at your local mall.

For his 50th, Chris will undergo surgery to become a woman. Will he adapt to this new life, and will his family be able to accept their former son?


One year of continual hormone therapy and one year of full time life experience is required before SRS is performed in the U.S.

Well, I’ve been on hormones for two years and I’ve pretty much up to the point of surgery. (man shaving) You know, with the electrolysis and the hormones together, my uh, skin’s become very soft. I have to be very careful shaving make sure I don’t cut myself like I use to. It means I’m more adaptable to it now. My skin come out very soft, very nice. (he is wearing a pink bra)

Yeah, the hormone therapy, um, provides you the natural breasts you would have, if you had been born a woman. It’s a really interesting process to watch this happening, you just take some shots and pills and, for my breasts to grow like that. So I could still develop up to uh, four years, you know, it—they could still grow but, uh, they haven’t grown much in the last, uh, six months. So that’s why I’ve decided to go through the breast augmentation, I Want ‘em a little bigger than what they are.

I never liked to look in the mirror, my whole life, you know, just, that was an act. My body I really didn’t hate it (shakes his head) but I didn’t like it either. So it was really nothing to look at. (powders face) And now as I’m developing, except for one area (puts on lipstick) I just love to look at myself in the mirror, you know? I’m not being conceited it’s just I’m achieving what I’ve only dreamt about. (applies silver eye shadow)

Your hair on your head is thicker (brushes hair). The body just takes off immediately, it’s just like, it’s been waiting to become female. And for me it’s like finally going through puberty. 40 years late, but puberty at last. My life started with hormone therapy, and if I die tomorrow, I’ve had two years of happiness in my life. (smiling ear to ear)

Mother: We knew something was wrong. He was always unhappy you know, and we couldn’t understand why.

(country streets) I grew up in Redcliff Kentucky, about 30 miles South of Louisville a small town of like 155,000 people growing up…very small.

He is the middle child, I have 3 boys, they all three of ‘em are fifeent. They just really as different as daylight and dark.

I don’t know how much I realized it when I was 5, but looking back I can say, I was, I was pretty much thinking as a female then. What propels a person to go put on my mother’s clothes and start dressing? At that age what do you know in life, you know? You just go and, and you put on a bra and you put on a night gown and what drives you to do that? It’s a normal development of a young girl. (pictures of him as a cub scout)

And then at 10 I started noticing boys and then I started wondering what was going on. And then I hear talk about a phase you go through, you know. I thought, well, this is just a phase. I should be all right, you know? But then at 13, um, I realized it wasn’t a phase. And it was very hard for me. (shakes his head) Trying to deal with not beding a normal boy, I mean, I didn’t know what I was going through. I’m trying to, to compensate, I guess for what’s missing in my life.

***
Want to be on television?
Click here to see what WE shows are being cast now!
more