Wednesday

Dangerous Beauty (Beauté Dangereuse in French)





Nous dansâmes notre jeunesse dans une ville rêvée

"We danced our youth in a dreamed-of city





Venise

Venice





Paradis du beau et de la fierté

Paradise proud and pretty



Vivant pour l’amour, le désir, la beauté

We lived for love and lust and beauty



Au plaisir seul, nous sommes obligés

Pleasure then our only duty





Flottant entre ciel et terre

Floating then 'twixt heaven and earth





Soûlés de joie bénie et légère

And drunk on plenty's blessed mirth





Nous croyant éternels et bienheureux

We thought ourselves eternal then





Notre gloire scellée de la plume de Dieu

Our glory sealed by God's own pen





Mais le paradis trouvé toujours est précaire

But paradise we found is always frail





Contre la peur de l’homme toujours il perd.

Against man's fear will always fail. "





Un souci, maman?

Is anything wrong, Mama?





No, rien.

Nothing at all.







Je me sens mal.

I feel faint.





I feel faint.







I feel faint.





Que fais-tu ?

What are you doing?





Come on, Beatrice.







Vite!

Quick!







Doucement!

Slow down!







Veronica!







Regarde!

Look!







Hello!





Voilà ton frère!

Your brother!





Salut à toi, Venise!

Hello, Venice!







Et s’il nous voit?

What if he sees us?







Il ne nous regarde pas, mais alles.

He's looking at them, not us.







Salut à toi, Venise!

Hello, Venice!







As-tu reçu mes lettres?

Did you get my letters?







Non? Je me tais.

No? I'm not talking to you anyway.



Tu m’as brisé le cœur.

You broke my heart.







Come on!







Come on!







All this for me?

Tout ça pour moi?







Oh Olivia







Oh glorious maid



Glorieuse demoiselle...







Of virtue spare

De vertu tempérée...







With bosoms like those who could care?

Tes seins te font pardonner.

My rod...

Ma gaule







...my lady, a hand.

ma dame, votre main.







- Come.

Venez.

- Hardly.

Presque!



It's Venus, come to bless the Venetians!

Vénus venue bénir les Vénitiens!







You smell like a sewer.

Tu sens l’égout.







Thank you. That's a fine welcome, little sister. Look at you.

Merci, quel charmant accueil, petite sœur. Et toi!









You might make a wife after all.

Tu es bonne à marier.







- Did you see him?

L’as-tu vu?



- Who?

Qui?



-You know who.

Tu sais qui.



-My future husband.

Mon futur époux.





Is he handsome?

Est-il beau?









- He's powerful.

Il est puissant.



- He is.

Il est.







Welcome home, Marco.

Bienvenue, Marco.







I think I've missed you.

Tu m’as manqué.





With all the court ladies to amuse you?

Entouré des femmes de la cour?







Roman women, they can't hold a candle to the Venetian.

Ces Romaines n’égalent pas les Vénitiennes.







Nor can French, Florentine nor any from Europe to the Levant.

Comme toutes les femmes de l’Europe au Levant.









No doubt you've sampled them all.

Tu as dû goûter à toutes.







All but idle amusement until you blossomed.

Le temps que tu t’épanouisses.









What keeps a son from greeting his own parents?

Quelque chose te retiens de nous saluer?









Beauty, I think.

La beauté, je pense.









You're drenched. Come on, you'll catch your death.

Tu es trempé. Tu vas attraper la mort.







I thought you were going to miss dinner again.

J’ai cru que tu manquerais encore le dîner.







Ladies have better things to do than poison their minds with books.

Une fille a mieux à faire que lire.







Such as?



Et quoi faire?





Such as minding their manners.

Surveiller ses manières.







The butcher said he must be paid.

Le boucher veut être payé.







Sera, do you know when you sail?

Sera, embarques-tu bientôt?







Next week.

La semaine prochaine.







Wish I could sail the high seas.



Ah, embarquer avec toi.





Veronica, high seas, indeed.

Courir les mers, voyons!







She'll never find a husband if she carries on like a child.

Elle est trop puérile pour trouver un mari.







How do people marry, Mother?

Comment se marie-t-on, Mère?







They strike a bargain.

On conclut un marché.







What's to bargain over if you're in love?

Pourquoi, si on est amoureux?







Marriage is a contract, not a perpetual tryst.

C’est un contrat, pas une cour galante.









Have you got someone in mind?

As-tu quelqu’un en tête?







- Love poetry?

Poème d’amour ?

- Give it back!

Rends-le moi.







"Life's harshness all forgave

Les coups du sort ai pardonnè





Hearts yearning met

Nos cœurs se sont rencontrés



When God...

Quand Dieu...







...your soul did..."

fit de ton âme...









Must be true love.

C’est vraiment de l’amour!







I'd have made a dashing courtier.

J’aurais été un beau courtisan?







Or maybe a pirate!

Ou peut-être un pirate?







Disengage to the left.

Dégage à gauche.







And again, back.

Recule encore.



Back, extend and lunge.

Recule encore, fends-toi et porte.







Nor in hope

Ni en espoir









The world can show a fatal...

Le monde ne m’offre...









... love for me

un grand Amour.





But since that I must...

Mais puisque je dois…





I really love you Please won't you love me

Je t’aime vraiment Aime-moi à ton tour





And where might you be going?

Et où penses-tu aller?









Nowhere.

Nulle part.







That 'nowhere' has a nice tenor.

Ce nulle part a une voix de ténor.







Veronica is on the canal with Marco Venier. Alone.

Veronica est sur le canal avec Marco Venier. Seule.









Mother Franco!

Mère Franco!









Elena, don't call me that. Makes me feel ancient.

Ne m’appelle pas ainsi. Ça me vieillit.









Young ladies of marriageable age must be chaperoned.

Les filles à marier doivent être chaperonnées.







A good marriage for Veronica could win me a proper commission.

Veronica bien mariée, j’aurais une charge.

I always liked Marco.

J’apprécie Marco Venier.









He won't marry her if he has her first.

Pas de mariage s’il la séduit.









Marry her? A bride of Marco's will need a king's ransom.

Mariage? Marco n’épousera qu’une fille riche.









"I see my fated stars Your eyes...

Je vois ma bonne étoile Tes yeux...









They melt me as the sun does snow"

font fondre comme neige au soleil.







I bought this in Rome for you.

Je l’ai eu à Rome pour toi.







You didn't buy it for me.

Pas pour moi.





Yes, I did.

Si.











I just didn't know it.

Mais je ne le savais pas.







Such an easy gift might easily be taken back again.

Cadeau facile à donner, facile à reprendre.







Then name me any other gift.

Demande-m’en un autre.









The book will do for now.

Le livre fait l’affaire.





I think perhaps you're too young...

Je pense que tu es peut- être trop jeune...









...to accept what I would...



pour accepter ce que je veux...





...truly give you.

te donner...







I am not so young as you are vain.

Je suis moins jeune que tu n’es vaniteux.







You haven't changed, have you?

Tu n’as pas changé...







How would you know?

Comment le sais-tu?







I fear you mistake me for one of your easy court companions.

Tu te méprends en me croyant une conquête facile.







I mistook the asking in your eyes.

Je me suis mépris sur ton regard.







Do you not like my kiss?

Tu aimes mon baiser?







I wish it were not a sin to have liked it so.

Je regrette que l’aimer soit un pèchè.







God made sin...

Dieu a crèè le pèchè...







...that we might know His mercy.

pour nous faire connaître sa pitié.

Labels: